Wikinvest Wire

Housing Bubble Angst

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Last night on Ben Jones' excellent Housing Bubble Blog, a very interesting series of posts were made. While the commentary was lively, there was a very clear and recurring sense of angst - just what type of person would be feeling anxious, or uncomfortable in any way, while in the midst of unprecedented increases in personal wealth, largely as result of rising real estate prices?

Some people may feel this way because they have never owned a home and are currently renting - they now find themselves priced out of their desired market, and deem this to be unfair. Had they been born a few years earlier or married sooner, they would have been able to purchase a home at a reasonable price and would be well on their way to amassing a great fortune - maybe they would have been able to "trade up" by now, and instead of being on the outside looking in, they'd be enjoying truly spectacular digs. It seems timing has become increasingly important to every individual's financial success in life - much more so than a few generations ago.

Or, perhaps they are renters who some time ago sold their home with the intention of buying again "after the crash", and they are now perplexed by both the continued price escalation and general insanity of it all - growing impatient with the pace at which real estate prices make their inevitable return toward long established trendlines. They feel that they understood things that others did not and due to this superior reasoning ability, they took action - but they are now restless, waiting for their shrewd wager to pay off.

Perhaps they are homeowners who have dramatically improved their standard of living as a result of the equity "built up" in their home over the last few years - never has it been so easy to "build" anything before ... truly a "lazy man's way to riches". They wonder if maybe they have "tapped" too much of this equity - if maybe they have been fooled in some way ... duped into spending money which they shouldn't have. The thrill of the purchases having long since passed, the debt remains, and it becomes more costly to service as the months go by.

Perhaps they are homeowners who have acted responsibly over the last few years - they have resisted the temptation to spend their home equity to purchase things that their grandparents would surely consider foolish. But, somehow they feel left out - there is an apparent "standard of living gap" between they and others of similar means. They look around and wonder what exactly is going on with home prices, and they search for explanations for why people are behaving as they are.

A common thread for all these people is an underlying sense that something is wrong - something is very wrong with the way homes are bought and sold today. It didn't used to be this way - what has happened in the five years since the Nasdaq bubble burst? How can things go on like this and what happens if they stop going on like this?

In the coming months and years, more people will take notice, and more people will search for explanations for what they see happening around them - and there will be a lot more angst.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the posters over on the housing bubble blog. I do feel some angst. Not because I feel I am missing out on gains- I know for sure the housing bubble is going to bust and mess everything up.

I feel angst because I am surrounded by idiots who keep telling me how great their housing gains are when we all know that what they see is paper profits. I went through the same thing during the dot com bubble ! All the idiots tell me at parties about how I was missing out on 200% increases on IPO day and how all the "new economy" stocks were surely worth 100x earnings, even though they didn't have any !

I've tried reasoning with a few of these people. I got into a heated argument with a couple my wife and were friends with. It turns out they didn't even understand simple interest. They thought that the balance on a 20 year mortgage was 50% after 10 years ! Yikes !

Tim said...

Yes, we are surrounded by idiots.

What makes this so much worse than the Nasdaq bubble is that it is SO much larger in terms of the effect that a big price correction would have.

Equally important, it's a completely different group of people involved this time - it's not just software programmers and Wall Street types. This time the middle class is fully engaged - what happens when the boom goes bust and all the middle class jobs are in Aisa?

Anonymous said...

I'll admit that there is definitely a personal aspect to my amazement/depression about overinflating housing prices. My car is paid off, I have no credit card debt, and my students loans are minimal. But because of the rapid price run-up in my area, I'm unable to afford (not qualify for a loan, but realistically afford) a house or condo worth purchasing on my librarian's salary. And if that was the end it, I wouldn't feel this angst--the truth is my apartment is nicer than any of my profligate peers' houses and condos for about half the cost. It's that when the bubble bursts, and inevitably will, the macro effects are going to be just as hard on the fiscally prudent as on the fiscally reckless. And that does piss me off a bit.

Tim said...

great caesar's ghost,

You are right - we are all going to suffer for this, but, one macro effect that we can already feel is the rise in commodity prices.

Today, down the street from me, gas was $2.57 for regular - all commodities are now in greater demand and are priced higher, due to the manufacturing boom in Asia, which is driven by U.S. consumption - much of this consumption would not be possible without rising real estate prices.

Anonymous said...

I am a housing bubble reader, and I definitely feel angst over being shut out of sensible home ownership. I'm graduating from law school this year, and my girlfriend and I will move to san francisco to start our careers. Our salaries will each be well over 100k.

How is it possible that we're looking at the very bottom of the housing market? Who can afford houses, if not us? Something is obviously amiss if people in my financial situation are virtually shut out of home ownership because we refuse to take out an interest-only ARM and be house poor for the rest of our lives.

I'm also worried that the economy is going to tank when this bubble bursts and I'll be out of a job, and I'll have nothing to show for having been fiscally responsible my whole life. It's not so much envy of those who bought in early as frustration and anxiety over the whole situation.

Tim said...

Anon,

Timing is everything ... it didn't used to be that way.

In Southern California, in the last twenty years, we've had two real estate booms (85-90 and 97-present) and one bust (91-96). During the last bust, prices in many areas went down almost 50%, and the run-up prior to that bust was just a baby compared to this one.

There is no shame in renting - be patient.

Anonymous said...

I've posted over the THB before as well. I am not envious. I am not really anxious, at least personally.
I see this bubble beast as an opportunity in the longer-term. I am, however, afraid about the long-term macro impact this market break will have.

To the lawyer fellow, be patient. Swallow a bit of pride as a high-earner and rent a decent pad.

I grew up in CA -- believe you me, it has RE cycles. The realtors periodically get into "this is the last chance you'll have mode" -- they have been doing this in CA since the 1880's. I am not kidding (studied the primary source material in undergrad). The people next door to me growing up bought their house for $900K in 1989 and sold out of it for just over $400K in 1994. The dude was BK eventually.

Although the aerospace downturn and the end of the cold war is often given as the excuse for that sell-off (making it seem like a one time deal that can't be repeated), the reality is that people paid way too much in the latter 80s for RE in SoCal. I know this is the case -- the person next door was a guy developing 36 homes all priced over $1M+ in an exclusive new development, which tanked. These homes were not being sold to aerospace engineers or even execs.

And ....as if 3% income growth (below the rate of inflation) and "solid job growth" (the floor for house prices noted in pretty much every article) in low-paying service industries was helping people out with house prices going up 20% per year! And some people say RE industry people are laughably transparent hucksters with paper-thin intellects....shame on them.

Again to the lawyer couple in San Fran -- use your rather high incomes to pack it away and take advantage of some dude who's got a negative cashflow renting to you. Your post makes it clear that you are not an instant-gratification junkie. Live low on the consumption totem pole. It's tempting to spend the living lights out when you've got a dual income like that, but fight the temptation. Turn the cash into income as the bond market crumbles and yields shoot up. This is my situation. We do over $125K household and we RENT. Housing is well less than 10% our gross income right now. We have over $300K liquid which is compounding all time. I have pretty close to complete financial independence at age 30. Never owned. I look at friends who are mortgage-impoverished and don't envy them, believe me.

Better to be a renter and rich than and owner and poor.

Anonymous said...

I'm an occasional anonymous poster at the housing bubble blog. I have absolutely no angst about being early this time. I sold my home six months ago and I am renting and waiting patiently for the buying opportunity. I wait patiently because that is how fortunes are made. I wait patiently because I remember that I bought that home in July, 1999 with 100% cash, no mortgage, after I could no longer find the huge gains on my monthly brokerage statement from AOL, CSCO, and JDSU credible. Of course, I was a little early and I second guessed myself for about nine months while all of the conversations I overheard daily on my Metro North commuter train out of NYC were people discussing their further gains with giddy delight. Hell, I felt like a damn fool watching that NASDAQ 5000 party on CNBC in March 2000, but that marked the very top of the insanity. Last month when I saw that headline in the San Jose Mercury News trumpeting "Santa Clara Median Home Price Exceeds $700000," with everyone, everywhere in the Bay Area discussing it with giddy delight in local restaurants and moms at playgrounds, I nearly had that damn fool feeling again. But older and wiser now, I am realizing that giddy people and giddy headlines mark the top as surely as that NASDAQ 5000 party on CNBC did. Be patient people. Bubbles don't unravel overnight. As I recall, tech stock bubble talk on internet discussion boards didn't start in earnest until about 1998. Bubble talk in the media at low decibel levels is the first step in educating the masses about their folly, and they don't listen at first because they are listening to their greed. As they gradually wake up to reality, the bubble unravels. As I learned during the tech stock bubble, it's better to sell a year too early than a year too late.

Tim said...

Like eveything, the former owner/current renter category is all about the timing - I imagine that if you had sold 2-3 years ago, when things looked crazy, but not absolutely insane, then you might be pretty sick of all this by now.

Anonymous said...

I'm the SF lawyer to be. Thanks for the words, everyone.

You all have definitely solidified my plan: rent a nice, but not extravagant, apartment exactly where I want to live and sock away the difference between mortgage and rent. With a rent:own ratio of 0.45 right now, that's a hefty amount to be saving. Hopefully a growing nest egg will assuage any feelings of anxiety I get.

IMAGE

  © Blogger template Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP