Wikinvest Wire

"Today, I am still just a bill"

Sunday, September 28, 2008

What's funny about this Schoolhouse Rock ditty is that it contains some rather antiquated ideas about where bills originate (at least as it pertains to the current bailout bill).


Bill says:
When I started, I wasn't even a bill. I was just an idea. Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed so they called their local Congresssman and he said, "You're right, there ought to be a law..."
Today, the process is much, much different - some folks on Wall Street decided they wanted a law passed so they called the Treasury Secretary and he said, "You're right, there ought to be a law..."

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 comments:

The Social Reformer said...

i really like this. haha nice. thanks, great post

Anonymous said...

"This isn't about a bailout of Wall Street, it's a buy-in so we can turn our economy around," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said at a press conference announcing the agreement.

... I feel much better about it now ...

jesse said...

This is the Simpsons parody:

" I'm An Amendment

Kid: Hey, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?

Amendment: I'm not garbage.
(starts singing)
I'm an amendment-to-be, yes an amendment-to-be,
And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me.
There's a lot of flag-burners,
Who have got too much freedom,
I want to make it legal
For policemen to beat'em.
'Cause there's limits to our liberties,
At least I hope and pray that there are,
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

(spoken)
Kid: But why can't we just make a law against flag-burning?

Amendment: Because that law would be unconstitutional. But if we changed the Constitution...

Kid: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!

Amendment: Now you're catching on!

Kid: What if people say you're not good enough to be in the Constitution?

(sings)
Amendment: Then I'll crush all opposition to me,
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay.
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay.

(spoken)
Congressman: Good news, Amendment! They ratified ya! You're in the US Constitution!

Amendment: Oh yeah!
"

IMAGE

  © Blogger template Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP