Wikinvest Wire

Phil? Phil Conners?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Phil Conners (Bill Murray) and Ned Ryerson (Stephen Tobolowsky) meet on consecutive mornings prior to the appearance of Punxsutawney Phil in the 1993 classic Groundhog Day.


The arrogant, egocentric, and frustrated weatherman from a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania TV station was assigned to the annual Groundhog Day festivities in Punxsutawney, only to find himself experiencing the same day, February 2nd, over and over.

His interaction with a high school classmate on consecutive days went like this:
-- Day 1 --
... (following the clip above)
Ned: I'll walk with you. Whenever I see an opportunity now, I charge it like a bull. Ned the Bull, that's me now. I have friends who live and die by the actuarial tables. It's all one big crap shoot. Have you ever heard of single premium life? I think that really could be the ticket for you.
[Phil turns to cross the street]
God! It is so good to see you! What are you doing for dinner?
Phil: Something else.
Ned: Watch out for that first step. It's a doozy!
[Phil steps into a pothole full of icy water]

-- Day 2 --
Ned: Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you! Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.
Phil: Ned Ryerson?
Ned: Bing! First shot right out of the box! How's it going, old buddy?
Phil: Actually, I'm not feeling well. Would you excuse me?
Ned: It's funny you should mention your health. You will never guess what I do now.
Phil: Do you sell insurance?
Ned: Bing again! You are sharp as a tack today. Do you have life insurance? If you do, you could always use more. Right? Who couldn't? You know something? I got a feeling you ain't got any. Am I right or am I right?
Phil: I gotta go.
Ned: Watch out for that first step. It's a doozy.
[Phil avoids the pothole]

-- Day 3 --
Ned: Phil?
Phil: Ned.
[Phil punches Ned in the face]

-- Later that day --
Phil: I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster and drank pina coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over...
Back to the serious stuff shortly ... still trying to catch up after our trip to the mountains.

0 comments:

IMAGE

  © Blogger template Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP