Wikinvest Wire

Well Done, Money Magazine

Sunday, November 20, 2005

If you were expecting some sort of caustic tirade about something that Money Magazine has published in their most recent issue, you won't find it in this post. As the love-hate relationship with America's number one personal finance magazine continues, today, compliments of Money Magazine, readers are invited to hear the story of a very unusual couple - a couple who have actually saved money, lived within their means, and have retired early.


Click to enlarge, then click again to enlarge more

At least one thing doesn't quite add up here, but generally speaking this is a wonderful story about how saving, avoiding debt, and maintaining a modest lifestyle can work out quite well in the long run.

Engineers make decent money, but a salary of $145,000 as a 35 year old electronics engineer in 1989 is pretty unbelievable - he must have been blackmailing the company president or something. The average engineering salary at that time was well under $50,000 and today it is near $70,000 - either Ian was much more than just an electronics engineer or he made much less than $145,000 in 1989.

Now, the sailing sounds like fun, but the $800 apartment and the 1988 Bronco do not - unless of course they spend so much time in shorts and T-shirts on their beautiful, well appointed boat that the car and the house just aren't that important - that sounds reasonable.

Look for more pieces like this from Money Magazine in the years ahead as an entire nation goes through the wrenching process of unlearning everything they were taught during the Greenspan era - learning once again how to save money and live within their means.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No kids? We would probably semi-retire TODAY if we didn't have children.. I'm all of 44, and haven't seen that kind of income, ever. There are many parts of the world we have personal experience with, where money goes MUCH further than here in the US.

I guess it's all about what floats one's boat. I would have been fine with no kids but not the wife - she would have definitely adopted if she couldn't have any of her own.

Worker 17 said...

No kids is a big saver. What I don't get is how he puts money into his 401k and then retires at 48, since he can't start taking out the money without a penalty at that age. Maybe he funded the 401k to the max and put the rest into a taxable account?

At 35 in 1989, he would have started tossing money in a big way into the market at a good time. Still, it would have been hard to go from nothing to $2 million even by putting 40K in a year.

Anonymous said...

I retired at 43. Not willingly, not intentionally, but when my career disappeared, I discovered just how well I had done. I realized early on how tenuous my position was to my employment and began accumlating assets instead of expenses. No children, but no spouse either. I own my house, bought a new car this year, pay cash for everything, but live modestly. Still, I wish I could work. It would give me something more to do than watch my investments.

Wes D said...

I have to admit I'm surprised that Money actually writes about people trying to live within their means. I'm a subscriber and it seems that too often it's profiling the latest SUV or stupid woman spending $100k at Gymboree on baby clothes.

IMAGE

  © Blogger template Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP